February 1, 2021
Dear Students, Parents, and Friends of Theodore Roosevelt,
We are thrilled with the success of the 35h Annual TRHS Leadership Retreat, held virtually over the Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, and wish to commend the 2020 Planning Committee: Have Bailey, Makia Friedman, Patrick Gallagher, Chris Griggy, Claire Laux, Tanner McKown, Ryan Rhinehart, Taryn Thomas, and Andrew Valetta. Their leadership during these challenging times was impressive and refreshing. They considered the many changes facing our nation and communities — related to the pandemic, social justice, and daily living. The result of their discussions came the 2020-21 theme for the retreat: The Evolution of Leadership: Embrace the Change, focusing specifically on adapting and embracing change. All of our students had an opportunity to attend.
Thursday, February 4, is a very special night at Roosevelt for our 8th graders. The 8th Grade Open House will be a virtual event, from 7:00-8:00 p.m. We enjoy welcoming our new students and families to our school by showing them all that we offer. During the virtual 8th Grade Open House students and families will meet our current students, teachers, advisors, and coaches, who worked collaboratively to make this event an informative and wonderful evening, leaving a positive first impression. Our Roosevelt family works hard to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all students, encouraging our prospective students to get involved.
This evening is also the Career Technical Conversation with 10th grade Parents and Students. This virtual event is to learn about joining Career Technical Education programs at TRHS. The list of programs, virtual meeting times and Google Meet links are below.
Once students have checked programs at TRHS or one of the Six District Educational Compact programs, the next step is to fill out an application! Make sure you identify your preferences in rank order and apply by February 24, 2021. See Mr. Carlton with any questions!
On Tuesday, February 23, ALL Juniors will be taking the statewide ACT test. Juniors from all cohorts will arrive at the building at 7:30 a.m., the regular school start time. Transportation after the test and lunch will be provided for all Juniors. Freshman, Sophomores and Seniors will have an asynchronous day at home.
As we celebrate Black History this month we are opening up opportunities for members of the Kent Learning Community to be involved in our Equity and Inclusion Task force. Please click on the invitation link if you are interested.
Because of our hybrid model, much of the communication with Senior students will be posted in the Class of 2021 Google Classroom. Students should join the classroom and turn on notifications. In the next few weeks, students should be scheduling a graduation meeting with Mrs. Skvarch. A link to set up the meeting is posted in the Google Classroom. This meeting is to make sure all academic graduation tasks are complete, such as credit checks and post-secondary plans. Please call or email Senior Counselor, Ms. Skvarch: email@example.com (330-676-8720) or Senior Unit Principal, Ms.Stuckey: firstname.lastname@example.org (330-676-8715) with any questions. Please be aware of additional forms of communication for Seniors and their families this semester:
- the Theodore Roosevelt High School website — www.kentschools.net/rhs (facilitated by Administration/Staff)
- search “Senior” or “Class of 2021” in the search bar for relevant postings)
- the Senior Class Google Classroom — Student Access (facilitated by the Counseling/Administration offices)
- Class Code (for students to join): d5se6ng
- the Senior Class of 2021 Instagram (facilitated by class advisors/officers) — @RHSClass2021
- the Senior Class of 2021 Twitter (facilitated by class advisors/officers) — @RHSClass2021
- the Senior Letter: Mr. Love’s office sends this out in late March with all the details regarding the end of the year information.
- Final Forms Emails: As we continue through the Spring semester, senior information will also be sent to students/families via Final Forms emails.
- Parent Broadcasts: Mr. Love will continue to make parent broadcasts pertinent to the senior class as needed.
School Counselors have been visiting your students English classes to discuss scheduling for the 2021-2022 school year. If you have any questions about the scheduling process please contact 330-676-8720 and ask to speak with your student’s counselor.