On behalf of the Kent City School staff, we would like to wish you a happy holiday season. Winter Break begins on Monday, December 22, 2014 and continues through Friday, January 2, 2015. We look forward to see everyone back to school on Monday, January 5, 2015.
After two weeks away from the classroom, early readers can forget some of their newly learned vocabulary and reading skills. Please consider trying the following activities. I encourage parents of early readers to take advantage of the wonderful books available about the holiday season.
Vacation Tips for parents with young readers
- Have your child read to you each day throughout the Winter Break.
- Choose a calm place, free from interruption, for your child to do reading each day.
- As your child reads, indicate spelling and sound patterns for example… cat, sat and pat.
- When your child reads to you and makes an error, point out the words missed and assist them to read the word correctly.
- Ask your child to tell you in their own words what takes place in a story.
- To test your child’s understanding, provide short breaks and ask your child questions about the characters and events in the story.
- Ask your child why they imagined a character acted in a certain way and ask them to support answers with information from the story.
- Before the end of a story, ask your child what they think will occur next and have them explain why.
- Make reading together fun and enjoyable.
Writing Challenge: Have your child write a letter to his or her teacher or principal about what they are doing during the Winter Break. Send the letter to school on Monday, January 5, 2015.
Thank you again for your continued support of the Kent City Schools,
George J. Joseph